Who are Danielle & Micheal?
We are a couple from Australia who have just finished travelling around Europe for the last 14 months. As avid travelers we were planning to go to Africa in 2014 for our next adventure. As a part of our trip we wanted to donate our time and money to a good cause. While we were discussing this it occurred to us that we didn’t want to hand over our money to a big charity and never see any results or get any feedback as to what impact our contribution had. It was as this stage we were passionate enough and said ‘stuff it, let’s do it ourselves!’
So here we are- we have founded Opportunities for Life, because we DO believe that we can make a difference, we CAN change people’s lives and we WILL be involved in this project every step of the way- and all our donors will be too so you know exactly what we are doing with your donation.
What is Opportunities for Life?
783 MILLION PEOPLE DONT HAVE ACCESS TO CLEAN DRINKING WATER – THAT’S ROUGHLY 1 IN 10 OF THE WORLDS POPULATION
- Every 20 seconds, a child dies from water-related disease.
- More than half of Africa’s people lack access to clean drinking water
- The water and sanitation crisis claims more lives through disease than any war claims through guns. Diarrhea, not AIDS, Malaria or measles, is the leading cause of death among childeren under the age of 5.
- Unsafe drinking water is the main cause of sickness and death in Africa
- 3.41 million people die from water, sanitation and hygiene related causes each year world wide
- The average distance a woman has to walk each day to collect water is 6km
- Without clean water and sanitation, it is impossible to address poverty, hunger or HIV
So I think you get the point- Water is essential for humans to exist- clean water ensures this is a happy and healthy existence. And the water crisis is critical throughout the world- but particularly bad in Africa, and this is why we want to help.
We have not chosen a particular village yet. It will either be in Kenya or Northern Uganda- We are working closely with people who have experience and who are giving us the best information to ensure that the well is installed somewhere that will be sustainable for the future and will have a lasting impact.
Our total aim is to raise at least $5000- however we will be fundraising out on the streets face to face and we will also be selling our stubby coolers- hence why our target is $2000 at this stage.
I cannot stress how passionate we are about making this happen and how excited we are to make a difference- and we hope you are too!
** Note – this successful campaign was ported over from iPledg 2.0. Whilst there were a large number of backers who assisted the campaign in reaching its target, their number and details are not shown here